Investigation process for accused bishops ‘vague’

GUAM
Pacific Daily News

Jasmine Stole , jstole@guampdn.com June 19, 2016

After a fourth person came forward Wednesday accusing Guam Archbishop Anthony Apuron of molesting him almost 40 years ago, apostolic administrator Archbishop Savio Hon Tai Fai said that necessary steps would be taken to present the matter to the Holy See.

But what those steps are have not been made public. A canon lawyer also said there’s little known about how bishops accused of abusing minors are investigated.

Roland Sondia, 54, said Wednesday that Apuron molested him one night when he was a 15-year-old altar boy and Apuron was then a parish priest, both serving for Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church in Agat.

The Agat resident recited the alleged events of the night in 1977 at a press conference last week, standing before his family and the media on the steps of the pastoral center at the Dulce Nombre de Maria Cathedral-Basilica in Hagåtña. He said he told Apuron to stop when Apuron rubbed his private parts, but Apuron persisted. Sondia said he then broke away from Apuron and left the rectory in Agat in the middle of the night.

In recent weeks, two other men, Roy Quintanilla and Walter Denton, have publicly and directly accused Apuron of sexually abusing them when they were altar boys. Doris Y. Concepcion, mother of a former Agat altar boy, also has accused Apuron of abusing her now deceased son.

Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.