LONDON (ENGLAND)
The Tablet
February 5, 2019
By Ruth Gledhill
A Catholic priest has been jailed for two years and two months for abusing four boys in front of their parents, one as young as seven.
Father Francis Simpson, now aged 71, and who pleaded not guilty at Bolton Crown Court, was a priest at St Jude’s, Wigan in the 1980s when the abuse took place.
He was brought to justice after a survivor shared what had happened to him on Facebook.
A spokesman for the NSPCC said: “Simpson may have thought he had got away with the shocking abuse of these boys, whose trust in him was so cruelly exploited. But by speaking out they have helped bring him to justice, and have shown that victims do not need to suffer in silence.”
A spokesman for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Liverpool said: “At the conclusion of a trial at Bolton Crown Court last month Francis William Simpson was found guilty of the charges he was facing and today he has been sentenced for his crimes.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.