DERBYSHIRE (ENGLAND)
Derbyshire Times
February 1, 2019
By Helen Kreft
The victim of a paedophile priest who was abused as an altar boy in Burton has told how sitting through public inquiry into the Catholic church’s handling of such cases has brought his nightmare ordeal flooding back.
Eamonn Flanagan, who has agreed to reveal his identity, said he had ‘no words’ after sitting through the hearing which he watched via a live feed from his home in Australia, and that he had been left in shock remembering the abuse he suffered as a young boy in the town in the 1970s at the hands of Father Samuel Penney.
Penney was the priest at St Mary and St Modwen Church in Guild Street at the time and was later jailed for seven and a half years in 1993 after admitting 10 offences of indecent assault against children, including assaulting Mr Flanagan.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.