MILWAUKEE (WI)
Wisconsin Public Radio
January 23, 2019
By Mary Kate McCoy
Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm is calling for a statewide investigation into the Catholic Church’s response to allegations of child sexual abuse over the past 50 years.
The call comes at a time when dioceses across the country are under heightened pressure to release names of priests with credible accusations of abuse against them.
Just last week the Diocese of Green Bay released the names of 46 priests who are known to have committed sexual offenses against minors dating back to 1906. Green Bay Police Chief Andrew Smith urged victims of abuse to go directly to law enforcement officials — not the church — Friday.
Chisholm told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel he hopes to team up with Attorney General Josh Kaul and district attorneys across the state to review decades of clergy abuse allegations.
Peter Isley, a clergy abuse survivor and founding member of Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, said the likelihood of an investigation is higher than it ever has been.
We’re really hopeful, victims and survivors and our families in Wisconsin”We’re really hopeful, victims and survivors and our families in Wisconsin,” he said.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.