GUAM
KUAM
[statement from Archbishop Savio Hon Tai Fai, SDB]
Updated: Aug 05, 2016
By Krystal Paco
A former Guam priest admits to molesting young boys. In an interview with KUAM News, Father Louis Brouillard says he’s repenting for his sins every day.
Earlier this week, 73-year-old Leo Tudela testified in support of Bill 326, a measure to lift the statute of limitations on child sex abuse cases. In his testimony, he gave personal and painful details of at least three incidents where he was molested by members of the church. One of his alleged perpetrators was Father Brouillard. At the time, Tudela was 13 and serving as an altar boy at Santa Teresita Church.
Tudela testified, “I looked up and saw Father Louis sitting to my left and told me, ‘It is OK. You will feel good and don’t worry about anything.’ I was shocked and felt very uncomfortable. I was shaking, scared, and started to cry. I was totally embarrassed and ashamed of what Father Louis was doing to me. He was supposed to be a man of God.”
Father Brouillard is 95 years old today and lives in Minnesota. In a phone interview with KUAM, transcribed below, he admits there were others.
KUAM News – Did you molest some boys?
Father Louis Brouillard – Yeah.
KUAM News – You did? Do you know how many?
Father Louis – No.
KUAM News – Did you molest some boys while being a priest on Guam?
Father Louis – Yeah.
KUAM News – Do you remember a boy named Leo Tudela?
Father Louis – No, I don’t remember him.
KUAM News – Do you remember or have any estimation of how many boys you may have molested while on Guam?
Father Louis – No, I don’t have recollection of the number. No.
When asked why he molested young boys, the priest only had this to say, “Hard to say…I guess mostly it pleased the boys. I thought they were happy.”
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.