PENNSYLVANIA
Sharon Herald
Editorial
THE fact that 250 calls have been made to a child-abuse hotline since the recent report of decades-long sexual crimes across the Roman Catholic Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown is tragic, but not surprising.
On March 1, the Office of Attorney General said priests and others associated with the diocese had been abusing children for decades across eight counties in Pennsylvania. The AG’s report directly named 35 alleged abusers, and said their crimes had been hidden by bishops who chose to move the priests from parish to parish rather than involve legal authorities.
A subsequent grand jury presentment on March 15 accused three former leaders of the Third Order Regular, Province of the Immaculate Conception, of allowing Brother Stephen Baker to work among local children knowing he had been accused of sexual assault previously in Ohio and Michigan.
As many as 100 former Bishop McCort High School students have said Baker abused them when they were students.
Past Franciscan group officials Giles Schinelli, Robert D’Aversa and Anthony Criscitelli were formally charged March 18 in Blair County with conspiracy and endangering the welfare of children.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.