AUSTRALIA
The Age
March 22, 2016
Beau Donelly
The Catholic Church is bracing for possible arson attacks on Melbourne parishes linked to paedophile priests, 12 months after vandals torched three suburban churches.
The Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne has told its parishes to be vigilant following an attempted arson attack on St Bede’s Church in Balwyn North earlier this month. An intruder broke into the church and poured accelerant onto the altar, but is believed to have fled before lighting the fire because an alarm went off.
In an email to the 214 churches in the Melbourne Archdiocese, vicar-general Monsignor Greg Bennet warned of the risk of arson, saying the Balwyn church’s alarm system was all that foiled “what would have been another catastrophic fire”. It coincides with the one-year anniversary of three as-yet-unsolved fires at churches where paedophile priests worked.
The internal email said the arson squad was investigating the latest attack and that police had advised all churches be vigilant, “especially those where there has been a history of sexual abuse cases”.
Notorious paedophile priest Terrence Pidoto served as an assistant priest at the Balwyn parish in the early 1970s. He was jailed in 2007 after being found guilty of eleven child sex abuse charges including rape and indecent assault.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.