AUSTRALIA
The Age
[with video]
Sex abuse inquiry: Former Geelong Grammar principal admits teacher accused of child sex abuse was paid to retire early
September 10, 2015
Henrietta Cook
Education Reporter at The Age
A former Geelong Grammar principal has admitted he paid a teacher accused of child sex abuse to retire early, but insists it was not a “sweetheart deal”.
Nicholas Sampson, who has been the headmaster of Sydney’s elite Cranbrook School since 2012, told the Royal Commission into Institutional Response to Child Abuse that he regretted writing a glowing letter to former teacher Jonathan Harvey, thanking him for his “exceptional service”.
Mr Harvey was jailed in 2007 for 10 months, with another 22 months suspended, after pleading guilty to abusing a former student between 1976 and 1978.
Mr Sampson, who was principal of Geelong Grammar from 2001 to 2004, said on Thursday he became aware of sexual abuse allegations involving Mr Harvey during his final month at the school.
In a tense discussion in Mr Sampson’s office, staff member BLW, who had attended the school as a child, revealed to the former Geelong Grammar principal that his brother had been sexually abused by Mr Harvey in the late ’70s.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.