Bishop refuses to explain why he has not dismissed paedophile priest

MALTA
Malta Today

Miriam Dalli / Jurgen Balzan
2 September 2015

Gozo bishop Mario Grech refused to answer questions on his decision to stand by a priest who was defrocked by the Vatican more than two years ago.

Asked by this newspaper for his reaction, Grech retorted “do you mind if I don’t?” and when pressed to give an answer he said “all your premises are wrong”.

Asked to elaborate, Grech said “I’ll tell you some other time.”

On Sunday, MaltaToday revealed how a Gozitan priest who was defrocked by the Vatican in 2013 had not yet been notified of his dismissal by Grech.

The priest in question, 63-year-old Dominic Camilleri, was investigated by the Maltese Church over the sexual abuse of minors. He had been accused of abusing a number of boys in Gozo over a number of years. Details are hazy since the cases were never reported to the police.

Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.