RHODE ISLAND
Seattle PI
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — A Rhode Island Catholic priest has been indicted for allegedly sexually assaulting two people in the 1980s and 1990s at churches in Cranston and Providence.
Barry Meehan pleaded not guilty on Friday to five counts of first-degree sexual assault. His lawyer, Kevin Bristow, did not comment.
The 65-year-old priest resigned from St. Timothy’s Church in Warwick and was placed on administrative leave last year by the Diocese of Providence.
The attorney general’s office says a statewide grand jury indicted Meehan for assaulting two males over 14 years of age on dates between 1986 and 1992 at St. Mary Parish in Cranston and St. Augustine in Providence.
It says a victim brought allegations to the diocese in December 2012. During a State Police investigation, prosecutors say police discovered another victim.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.