Residential schools lawsuit will not start until next fall

CANADA
CBC News

Former students at residential schools in Labrador and northern Newfoundland will have to wait until September for a class action trial to start.

Plaintiffs had wanted to launch the case last week, but it ran into procedural delays.

Justice Robert Stack, in a written decision, said he needed to accommodate both the wishes of plaintiffs to move forward with the case as well as third parties, who told the court they need at least six months to be ready for a trial.

“I order that the trial commence as expeditiously as possible,” Stack wrote.

“The time [for preparation] can be lessened through co-operation among the parties coupled with forceful direction by me.”

Stack has set a date of Sept. 28 for the start of the trial, and has asked lawyers to meet with him in the next two weeks to discuss how deadlines will be met.

Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.