Seven Tijuana priests accused of abuse of minors

MEXICO
UT San Diego

By Sandra Dibble

TIJUANA — Seven priests from Tijuana’s Roman Catholic Archdiocese are under investigation for sexual abuse of minors.

Archbishop Rafael Romo Muñoz made the announcement Wednesday, following news reports earlier this week about an investigation into accusations of pedophilia by several Tijuana priests. Though a number of priests were named in the news reports, Romo stressed that “there is no sentence on the part of the Holy See.”

At a news conference responding to the allegations, Romo said church authorities first began investigating the allegations in 2012. The following year, in March, priests from the Archdiocese of Hermosillo were dispatched to Tijuana, on orders of the Vatican, and charged with interviewing the accused priests, their alleged victims and any witnesses to the abuse. Their report was sent to the Vatican, which in turn made recommendations to Romo in April.

Romo said that all of the alleged victims in these cases were in their teens. “There is no case of abuse of children,” he said.

Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.