Diocese continues investigation into priest accused of misconduct

SOUTH CAROLINA
Fox Carolina

By Casey Vaughn

GREENWOOD, SC (FOX Carolina) –
A man who told Greenwood County deputies he was touched by a priest 15 years ago has decided not to pursue charges, according to reports.

The Index-Journal reported Tuesday that the victim told deputies he did not want to further pursue the investigation.

The allegations against Father Hayden Vaverek made news in early March when the Catholic Diocese of Charleston released a statement saying he had been put on administrative leave after someone reported the misconduct.

The diocese reported that the misconduct occurred while Vaverek was pastor at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church in Greenwood, but “no parishioners of that parish were involved in the reported allegation.” Diocesan officials said the sexual misconduct involved a minor and happened more than 15 years ago.

Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.