Priest denied bail; Archdiocese will pay for defense

OREGON
KOIN

SALEM, Ore. — A local Catholic pastor accused of sex abuse has been denied bail.

On Monday Father Angel Perez — who was expecting a release hearing — learned he’ll stay in jail until his trial. He’s expected to have a preliminary hearing Wednesday, followed by an arraignment Aug. 27.

Perez is listed as a pastor of Saint Luke Catholic Church in Woodburn, Ore.; he is accused of sexually abusing a boy from a church party.

What’s happened so far?

The 46-year-old pleaded “not guilty” in Marion County Court Aug. 14 to one count each of first-degree sex abuse, using a child in display of sexually explicit conduct and furnishing alcohol to a minor.

The charges come after a 12-year-old boy told police that Perez touched and took pictures of him during a sleep-over at Perez’s home. The boy says he ran away from the house to get help from his family.

Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.