January 23, 2006

Priest flees Gozo as Curia launches sex abuse probe

MALTA
Malta Today

Matthew Vella

The hasty departure of a Gozitan diocesan priest from the Nadur parish to the United States has startled an entire community, after complaints of alleged child sex abuse by the priest were referred to the Curia for investigation.
Yesterday Nadurís archpriest Mgr Salvu Muscat confirmed he referred complaints to the curia from parents whose children they claimed had been sexually abused by the priest, whose name is known to MaltaToday.
He said he was not aware of the outcome of the investigations. Sources told MaltaToday that the parents and children alleging the abuse had already been interviewed by the Curiaís Response Team on child abuse.

Posted by kshaw at January 23, 2006 08:29 PM